Vserv Insights Rewarded Video ads Gen XYZ
Mobile marketing with Rewarded Video Ads: Suitable for all ages
January 18, 2017
Take audience engagement to the next level with haptic video ads
February 1, 2017

All that you need to know to tap into the Indonesian traveler's pulse


Indonesia today has a 34% Internet penetration and much of it is driven by the 84 million mobile internet users. The country's smartphone user base sits at 65 million today and is growing at a healthy rate of 18% year-on-year.

Considering that smartphones have pretty much become the de-facto way of doing everything 'connected' it does not come much as a surprise when a Tripadvisor estimate suggests that 20% of connected travelers say that they made a booking via a mobile app because it was easier or faster to access. Futhermore, 29% felt they got a better price when they booked through an app.

When all these factors are taken into consideration, if you're a travel website or a hotel booking portal, mobile marketing can be an effective medium to reach out to these travelers. However, how will you engage this audience effectively if you do not know what they are looking for?

Decoding the Indonesian connected traveler
According to a Jakpat research survey, more than 52% of the respondents prefer making a hotel reservation through online travel booking platforms such as Traveloka, booking.com and Agoda. Only 36% have a direct communication with budget hotels while just about 12% use an offline agency.

Furthermore, in 2016, the average travel budget for Indonesian travelers annually was USD 1300. 78% of these Indonesian travelers are leisure travelers while for the remaining 22% travel is business-related.

Regardless of whether they are business or leisure travelers, these three factors are most important for Indonesian travelers: Price (89%), Location (69%), Room (48%). On the other hand, 94% of accommodation owners said online reviews are the most important factor for the future of their business.

Mobile marketing tailored for connected travelers
These insights can be very helpful for effective audience targeting. Brands from various categories such as travel and hotel booking, banking, Forex, luggage, personal care, travel accessories, tourism boards, travel companies can target the traveler audience profile. These insights can also help create mobile marketing campaigns that the connected Indonesian travelers are more likely to engage with.

For instance, if you are a travel website or hotel booking portal, your mobile ad in an attractive but simple and clear manner, must outline the type of hotel accommodation, its location and price. What would further enhance the ad experience is if the ad creative also includes the average customer review for the accommodation in a way that it would fuel the intent to make a booking. Once a strong intent is generated, the campaign must capitalize upon it, with a purchase button in the ad that encourages the audience to make a booking.

We also recently talked about how 'News' is the most frequented apps category by Indonesian smartphone users. Now that you know how to engage the connected Indonesian travelers and where you can find them on mobile, you can now get cracking with your mobile marketing strategy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright of Vserv 2019