Report segments smartphone users based on their profile and app usage
Jakarta, Indonesia – 25th November 2015: Vserv, the leading smart data platform for mobile marketing and commerce, today released the Smartphone User Persona Report (SUPR) 2015 for Indonesia. The report findings are based on a study conducted by Nielsen Informate Mobile Insights. SUPR segments Indonesian smartphone users into different user personas and delves deep into their usage patterns.
The report provides rich insights into each persona's app usage, time spent on various apps, data consumption patterns and their demographics. According to the report, the Indonesian smartphone user base is growing at a 33% CAGR from 2013 to 2017. This boom in the Indonesian smartphone market, is primarily being propelled by Indonesians under the age of 30 years, with the report highlighting that 61% users fall in that age bracket.
Key Highlights from the report:
- As per the study, smartphone users spend on average 129 minutes per day on their devices
- Six smartphone user personas which emerged are – Data Guzzlers, Gaming Buffs, Power Users, Conversationalists, Dabblers and Social Stars
- One in every 5 smartphone users in Indonesia who consumes around 249 MB/day of data is categorized as Data Guzzlers
- 19% of the smartphone users that spend over 1.5 hours a day playing games on their devices are classified as Gaming Buffs
- 14% smartphone users who are predominantly females spend almost an hour daily on social networking, chat & VoIP apps are segmented as Social Stars
"With the rapid proliferation of mobile internet users in Indonesia, marketers require rich consumer insights which help them to sculpt an effective engagement strategy," said Sagar Phadke, Executive Director, Consumer Insights, Nielsen Indonesia. "We are excited to collaborate with Vserv on this critical market insight report that will help marketers stay ahead of their game."
"Today, it is crucial for marketers to improve the relevance of their messaging and enrich their consumers' experience. They need to formulate their strategies focused on user personas and their intent. As leaders in the smart data space, Vserv has consistently enabled marketers to move beyond demographic data and embrace smart data based targeting. Taking another step towards that commitment, we are delighted to unveil our joint report with Nielsen Informate Mobile Insights. The succinct data from this ready reckoner will enable marketers to know, understand and target their audience more fittingly by formulating tighter mobile strategies." explains Pranab Punj, Associate Vice President, Global Marketing, Vserv.
SUPR is based on an automated usage data collection from over 1,600 smartphone users in Indonesia, over a three month period. The study was conducted using innovative smartphone metering technology installed by opt-in panelists on their smartphones. From the two-step cluster analysis, with 27 actual smartphone usage parameters as input variables, six smartphone user personas emerged. The full report can be viewed here.