Bangkok, 20th January 2016: Vserv, the leading smart data platform for mobile marketing and commerce, today released the Smartphone User Persona Report (SUPR) 2015 for Thailand. The report findings are based on a study conducted by Nielsen Informate Mobile Insights. SUPR segments Thailand smartphone users into different user personas and delves deep into their usage patterns.
The report provides rich insights into each persona’s app usage, time spent on various apps, data consumption patterns and their demographics. According to the report, the Thailand smartphone user base is growing at a 15% CAGR from 2013 to 2017. This boom in the Thai smartphone market, is primarily being propelled by Thais under the age of 30 years, with the report highlighting that 58% users fall in that age bracket.
Key Highlights from the report:
- As per the study, smartphone users spend on average 160 minutes per day on their devices
- Six smartphone user personas which emerged are – Social Stars, Dabblers, Power Users, Conversationalists, Data Guzzlers and Explorers
- 20% smartphone users who are predominantly males, spend almost 71 minutes a day on social networking, chat & VoIP apps are segmented as Social Stars
- 17% of the smartphone users who are predominantly males and spend 208 minutes a day on their smartphones are classified as Power Users
- 13% of the smartphone users who are predominantly females and spend 20 minutes a day on browsing, search & app stores are classified as Explorers
Commenting on the release of the report, Sagar Phadke, Executive Director, Consumer Insights, Nielsen said, “We are pleased to partner with Vserv to provide marketers with relevant consumer insights, through our Smartphone User Persona report. The aim of releasing this report is to aid marketers with rich insights that help them sculpt an effective communication strategy. With the rapid proliferation of mobile internet users in Thailand, we are positive this report will help marketers stay ahead of their game.”
“Today, it is crucial for marketers to improve the relevance of their messaging and enrich their consumers’ experience. They need to formulate their strategies focused on user personas and their intent. As leaders in the smart data space, Vserv has consistently enabled marketers to move beyond demographic data and embrace smart data based targeting. Taking another step towards that commitment, we are delighted to unveil our joint report with Nielsen Informate Mobile Insights – Smartphone User Persona Report 2015 Thailand. The succinct data from this ready reckoner will enable marketers to know, understand and target their audience more fittingly by formulating tighter mobile strategies.” explains Pranab Punj, Vice President, Global Marketing, Vserv.
SUPR is based on an automated usage data collection from over 565 smartphone users in Thailand, over a three month period. The study was conducted using innovative smartphone metering technology installed by opt-in panelists on their smartphones. From the two-step cluster analysis, with 27 actual smartphone usage parameters as input variables, six smartphone user personas emerged. The full report can be viewed here.